This is the time of year when many people travel, some internationally. If you plan to leave the country, you may want to consider the following when it comes to your health:
– You may not have health insurance coverage for illnesses or injuries that are treated abroad, even if you have US based medical coverage.
– Medicare does not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs incurred abroad.
– Senior organizations can assist with obtaining foreign medical coverage for Medicare supplement plans.
– US consulate personnel will help you locate health care providers and facilities and even contact family members, if necessary.
– You can purchase travel insurance that covers health care needs and pays for medical evacuation if you need to be transported back to the US for treatment.
Obtaining medical treatment in another country can be expensive and a medical evacuation can cost over $50,000. Plus, any medical bill and claim resolution which may be needed to decipher charges may be difficult to do while abroad.